[SML] Lobby Monitors (Matthew Whiton)

Tom Grabowski tegrabowski at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 00:36:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM, <stagecraft-request at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Message: 16
> Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 14:26:47 -0500
> From: Matthew Whiton <mattwhiton at gmail.com>
> Subject: [SML] Lobby Monitors
> Hello all,
>

>          I?m looking to upgrade my audio/video monitor equipment in pursuit
> of better sound and picture to be used in the lobby for latecomers. I?d
> like to chat off list with anyone who has been through this process
> recently. Bonus points for anyone who has tackled audio monitoring in a
> thrust space.
>

> Many Thanks
>

> Matt

I have a 300 seat thrust theatre.  For the audio monitor feed I hung an
AT853R cardioid condenser hanging microphone just below the level of our
acoustical cloud panels just above the front edge of the stage.  This was
run to a 2 channel mixer (an Altec1689A which shows you how long ago I did
this).  (Channel 1 is our thrust theatre, 2 is the studio theatre).  Then
the output goes to a automatic gain controller/leveler (Symetrix 422).  I
then patch this output to the lobby speakers, dressing room speakers,
production booths and the hearing assist system.  The mic picks up the
stage sound and just enough of the audience to get their reactions.  The
AGC leveler unit is set so that it will pull up the really quiet portions
and pull down the really loud portions so that the sound can be heard
clearly in our echoey lobby.

__
Tom Grabowski
UTRGV Theatre/TV/Film