[SML] Actor almost hanged

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 14:38:04 UTC 2016

Good call.

We glued heavy-duty Velcro to the ends of rope just at the knot to
create such a breakaway when a noose was to be placed around
Hermione’s neck for our production of Winter's Tale. The actress was
standing on a trap-door at the time that was to be triggered by the
hangman in a fit of spite after Hermione was given her reprieve and
left the stage (this was just before she dies anyway of a broken
heart, only to return aged many years later as a statue of her
miraculously comes to life during the Deus ex Machina ending that
Shakespeare contrived for the play)

The trap was actually triggered by a technician below, while the
noose, visible rope and another 30 or 40 feet more of rope to boot,
fell from overhead into the open trap.  The trap was then shut again
and the stage was clear for the next scene.  The most effective and
dramatic moment of the whole play IMO.  BTW, our bear was not
visible...but the moment was silly anyway.

--
Steven J McLean
steve.mclean at simpson.edu
designandtechtheatre.wordpress.com