[SML] turntable motors

Kim Hartshorn hartshwk at plattsburgh.edu
Mon Feb 8 20:50:10 UTC 2016

There are many factors.  I have driven a larger turntable loaded with
several people with a washing machine motor.  You need to know the speed
that you are looking for....and at what point of the turntable you want to
reach that speed and then determine the need rpm.  Quite often people want
to be able to generate a 'walking in place' effect or around 3' / second.
So you need to know at what point in the turntable you want to generate
that speed.  You also need to figure how you are going to drive the
turntable, if you can drive the turntable with a cable near the outer rim
it will require the least amount of torque and assuming it is riding on
good casters and generating minimal friction you can drive it with a very
small motor.  Then getting the turntable to turn at your required RPMs is a
matter of building a belt and pulley jackshaft and a cable or rubber tire
drive to reduce the 1750 rpms of your motor down to the 3 or 4 desired
RPM's of your turntable.

That being said, I personally prefer hand winches for power as being safer,
easier to time, speed adjustable for start up and stopping and reversable