[SML] Removing hazardous equipment from service

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Thu Feb 11 01:39:02 UTC 2016

On 2/9/2016 10:05 PM, Dan Monti via Stagecraft wrote:
> To the collective...
> I am searching for the proper means by which I might deactivate a bad
> idea. My current example is out of industry, but the principals apply.
>
> We have a materials lift in the warehouse that has seen better days, but
> was a bad idea as conceived. There are no travel limits, no apparent
> brake, motor or otherwise, no cable retention rollers on the drum, the
> car is falling apart, the worm drive has probably lost all its oil given
> the look of things... Due to the lack of cable retention and limits, the
> car has previously been landed in the basement taking tension off the
> cable which is now all up and under itself on the drum... The only
> saving grace is that there are two full wraps on the drum cable before
> the stupid gnarly bit.
> Lets simply say that there are management issues.
>
> I thought that OSHA Lockout-Tagout was the means, although upon
> investigation I am no longer of that opinion as the LOTO program is
> specifically designed for servicing and maintaining equipment not taking
> it out of service.
>
> Soooo... Am I missing something? Is this a procedural vacuum legally?
> How do you take a hazardous piece of permanent equipment out of service?
> Thoughts? Perspectives? Experiences...?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Dan

Perhaps I am misreading your post, but I think you are not a person who
has been given the authority to shut this down, by LOTO, or by any other
means, and you are asking for options.

You can always call OSHA, or possibly the local Elevator inspector, if
this is permanent gear, it probably falls under a dumbwaiter type category.

However, it also sounds like some maintenance and upgrades might be an
option too.

Without seeing the equipment, I am making guesses that might be
unfounded, but:
Replacing cable is probably quite cheap and not too difficult, Likewise
adding a cable keeper to the drum.  Adding oil to the Gearbox should be
almost free, replacement determined by what happens if you add oil,
Repairing the Car is something that needs visuals, but welding and so
forth isn't too hard.  if nobody rides this car, or stands under it in
operation, then some of the safety limits might not really be needed in
as much as the failure does not endanger human life. Operator training
could serve to ensure safe operation.

If the hoist goes out of service, does it affect daily operation of the
business?

Beware of grousing about something that isn't to your liking without
having some alternate solution to offer.  We'd all love spiffy new gear
that runs perfectly every time, but sometimes all old gear needs is some
TLC to work just fine.

Stuart