[SML] LED HOUSE LIGHTS - RETROFIT

John Taylor jt at techie.com
Thu Feb 11 22:23:34 UTC 2016

Hey Keith,

It has been about 6 years as we did this right before I retired from the
Zoo. We had a 400 seat theatre with over a hundred hanging (100 watt)
PAR 38 cans and 10 (double 60 watt) A lamp wall sconces that we had to
come with a solution to cut our electric costs. We tried the CFL route
which I had told them would not work. I forced our maintenance
electrician to find a LED source lamp that would work. He finally found
a Phillips lamp that seemed like it would work (not cheap). The problem
we ran into was our dimmers were an older LUTRON dimming system that did
not like the CFL or LED lamps. The LED's would not not dim below about
20%. We had been having problems with the dimmer rack anyway. Since it
also handled the dimming for our small theatre/lecture hall and the
Board Meeting Room when the Board Room started going crazy during during
the Commission Meetings they finally agreed to replace the main dimming
rack. To correctly handle the LED's it needed to be dimmers designed for
the LED lamps. The replacement dimmers were not cheap but since they can
programmed to handle tungsten, CFL or LED lamps, it was worth it. Sorry
I don't have any model numbers but I would suggest talking to a good
Phillips rep as it was them coming to the rescue.
You might have to get mini to standard adapters as I doubt if they have
mini base lamps but they might.

We meet once upon a long time ago when I lived in Orlando and you were
at TPAC.

Take care,
JT
Mostly retired Theatre Tech these days