[SML] Marley-type floor covering question.

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Sat Feb 13 07:13:59 UTC 2016

> Also we have some nice big windows that let the sunlight in. It turns out
> that sunlight reacts with the tape, and as a result the tape begins to
> chemically bond with the marley after a few months, so that when you pull
> the tape up, it leaves a residue that is actually a chemical brew of marley
> and adhesive.  In order to avoid this chemical reaction, we had to pull the
> tape up more like every other month.  Dick, you must not have had direct
> sunlight if you only retaped only once a year?

I am not convinced that the sunlight is the direct cause.

What I think is that the plasticizers in the Marley are reacting with the tape
adhesive, causing the gummy mess.

The sunlight heats the Marley/tape a bit - accelerating the interaction. You
would most likely have the same result if you stored the Marley in a warmer
room.

Bill