[SML] DMX silk flame units

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Feb 24 02:59:47 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Matthew Whiton via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has positive experience with a make and model of DMX
> control-able silk flame/ non-combustion fire effect.
>      I've seen the AFX Flame6 which is overkill for my needs and the color
> control looks less suited to realistic flame colors.
>       The unit in question is going into a 50-60 gallon trash can, which
> puts space at something of a premium.

If you need a flame effect where one can/must see the silk flame, then
my experience won't help... but last year I did build a wireless,
DMX-controlled 3-lamp (and a fan) fire-in-a-garbage-can.... but
purposely not seeing the "flames."  The silks did a great job of
creating the realistic flicker, but I have to tell ya, there was a lot
of trial-and-error, getting fans to blow enough to make the silk stand
up, but not twist vortex-style, or fall over, or get out of the way of
the wind.... finding a balance between strength of fan, height of fan
to the silk, height of the silk, closeness of the silks to each
other... weight of the silks... position of the flames in the garbage
can for proper draw (can't be too close to any sides).... etc, etc...
building it was a lot of work, so if you are able to find a successful
pre-built thing, please share it with the list.

If one wants to see the burning garbage can I did, see it here:
http://www.arescreative.com/design/caesar/
(2nd from the last pic has the can... other pics may have it in the
shot as well.)

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com