[SML] Huh.. Interesting

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Wed Jan 6 21:04:23 UTC 2016

Two different cases.  The Marriott case got a 600kbuck fine.  The other case is still on appeal, last I heard, but the fine was in the same neighborhood.
FCC hit it in two grounds.  A. Interfering with a FCC licensed service,  and B. Misusing a licensed service.
The technical bits were that the hotel WiFi network would detect a "rogue WiFi hub".  Such as your cell phone when you put it into Hotspot mode.  It would send data packets to any device that was setting up a WiFi connection with the rogue WiFi hub, impersonating the ID of the rogue WiFi hub that told the device to end the session.  Then the device would have to go through the whole discovery and session setup rigamarole again.  Then it would get another spoofed shutdown packet.  Repeat ad infinitum.
So connectivity was not totally blocked, but was slower than pouring molasses outdoors in january.  The expensive hotel provided WiFi was of course, not bothered.
Dale