[SML] Read the sign

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Tue Jan 12 04:19:35 UTC 2016

There is a DOT requirement on signage to warn the driver if the truck is
taller than some threshold value.   Rental companies generally exceed
the requirement on their commercial trucks.

Here in Boston, the local Uhaul, Budget, and homeowner grade rental
truck companies have an additional rider on their contracts that tell
the renters that their vehicle is too tall to fit under the bridges on
Storrow and Memorial Drives.   That if they take the truck under a
bridge and damage it, all damage charges will go on their own personal
insurance.   Every college move in and move out period we end up with
rental trucks wedged under the overpasses.

Both the Boston and Cambridge fire departments have wedged fire trucks
under the low bridges.

Dale