[SML] LED Pars, pro/con of your fav units please

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:56:25 UTC 2016

> As someone who works mostly in ‘found spaces’, where I have to pull
> extension cords from outlets with less than stable power, I’ve found ETC LED
> fixtures to be less then forgiving. (Something about the inrush current
> causing a voltage differential between neutral and hot that is more than the
> fixture allows. Don’t quote me on that. 10-12 gauge extension cords might
> have helped, but the less expensive fixtures worked fine.)

I don't doubt your experience but I have to wonder if it's really the
case that ETC fixtures have greater inrush or if it's simply the case
that ETC is much more thorough and conservative in their research,
design, measurement, and documentation.  It would be interesting to
actually have the two side by side and see the differences of this
measured objectively.  What could account for this - more robust power
supplies/drivers?

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC