[SML] LED Pars, pro/con of your fav units please

JIM VOGEL james.vogel at wisc.edu
Fri Jan 15 15:17:26 UTC 2016

As someone who works mostly in ‘found spaces’, where I have to pull extension cords from outlets with less than stable power, I’ve found ETC LED fixtures to be less then forgiving. (Something about the inrush current causing a voltage differential between neutral and hot that is more than the fixture allows. Don’t quote me on that. 10-12 gauge extension cords might have helped, but the less expensive fixtures worked fine.)
However, if I was setting up a permanent theatre with stable power, and a bigger budget then I ever have, ETC would be my first choice.

My local rental house (Full Compass) has Elation Opti-Tri-Par and Opti-Tri-30 fixtures, which I’ve been fairly happy with for the small dance and circus performances I light. Dimmer curve is ok, no big jumps in color/brightness, easy to setup and use, light weight so less work to hang/strike, reliable.  For the 20’ or so throw I have the brightness and photometrics are good.