[SML] LED Pars, pro/con of your fav units please

JIM VOGEL james.vogel at wisc.edu
Fri Jan 15 18:46:26 UTC 2016

Bill,
Good point ;-)

Digging way back in my forgetful memory, I think that after several hours of troubleshooting/calls with ETC tech support, the final determination was that the ground fault interruption breakers that were in the building were tripping because they sensed a ground fault, which was somehow caused by the inrush current of the ETC Vivid-R fixtures. But it was 2 year ago, so take that with a grain of salt....

I wasn't really concerned with doing a full post mortem at that time, as the Vivid fixtures were a onetime loan, and I would probably never have them to use them again. I drove out to Full Compass, rented the Elation Opti-Tri-Pars, plugged them in, they worked fine, and  I ran the show.

I've never had problems with the Elation fixture, over several years of renting them, in all kinds of 'found' buildings.

Which left me with the impression that when I'm running a show in 'found' buildings, ETC LED fixtures might not be the first option to choose. And that the Elations are normally my first go to fixture because I've never had problems with them.