[SML] strange document handling

James Alderson alderson at uwosh.edu
Tue Jan 19 20:51:20 UTC 2016

Jerry wrote:

> In LibreOffice 4 it shows up as black.  When I try to select all in
> version 5 it doesn't see anything.  Yet Statistics shows thousands of words.
>
> In any case, Mr Sir Salzberg The Great translated them to something that
> she can read!  Thanks, all!
>
> On 01/19/2016 11:09 AM, Joe D wrote:
>> This is a long shot, but might the text be there colored white?
>>
>> -joe

Joe got there ahead of me. He might be on to something. :-)

This happens to me several times each year when going between Linux and Windows (maybe even Linux to Mac). It doesn’t have to be a WP file. Jeffrey has fixed this particular document for you already, but it would still be worth checking out in case it comes up again.

Try opening the original document in LibreOffice 5 once again (the one were the font is invisible). Select All (as before) and check the font color. Chances are it is set to “Automatic". Change it to Black.

Alternately, you could try an on-line service like Zamzar.com to convert file types. In the days of Win 3.1 used MS Works way back when. Zamzar’s about the only way I have left to access the odd file WPS or WKS file I haven’t previously updated to something else.

Mick Alderson
TD, Fredric March Theatre
Univ. of Wis. Oshkosh