[SML] Theatre and Pi

Ford Sellers fsellers at chauvetlighting.com
Thu Jan 21 17:16:44 UTC 2016

We found that when dealing with the maximum throughput of 255 universes of Broadcast Artnet, and the translations into DMX in our NET-X<http://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/net-x/> and Epix<http://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/epix-drive-900/> products, we had to use a FPGA to effectively handle the data without bogging down.

For an architectural system (where a half second lag won’t cause a major headache), or a one or two universe device, you can probably get away with Pi.
It would probably work great for most small to medium theatres.

But for sorting and streaming a lot of data to pixel arrays, we’ve found that we need something more robust.

-Ford