[SML] Servo with RS485- Converting to DMX512?

James Smith jds at theatrewireless.com
Wed Jul 6 18:50:44 UTC 2016

Hey Joe -- I just saw this now, sorry I'm way out of date.  :)

Our little RC4 Wireless dimmers have had servo-controller mode for a couple
of years already.  Just connect up any pulse-controlled servo motor and
assign it to a DMX channel.  Done!

Jim
RC4 Wireless

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 10:02 AM Joe D via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I came across a system that is used to replace the electronic guts in a
> radio-control style servo motor.  The potentiometer is replaced with a
> magnetic encoder, and the servo driver circuit with a new board that has
> several interface options, which permit you to send digital position
> commands to the servo. One of the interface options is RS485, which is what
> really caught my attention, since that is the electrical standard for the
> DMX512 standard.
>
> RC style servo motors are cheap and convenient packages with motor, gears,
> and electronics all included. If they were DMX512 capable, I can see many
> uses in theater.  It might serve to make a projector shutter, a way to
> remotely trigger a falling prop. If the RC Servo were modified, something
> can be made to continuously rotate.
>
> In regards to customizing, they have the following in their literature;
>    Programmable: The 01™ Supermodified servo controller utilizes our
> PicoMCUTM
>    development board with an ATMEL ATMega328P running at 20MIPS. Our
>    controllers can be programmed through the UART or RS-485 interface as it
>    comes pre-programmed with a bootloader.
>
> Here are some specs for their driver circuitry;
>    The 01™ Supermodified kit utilizes the Freescale MC34931
>    motor driver IC. With a current capability of 5A (7.8 Amps peak),
> current
>    feedback, multiple protection functions and operating on a range of
> 4.5-24V
> However, I suspect that their tiny board would not handle that much
> current, without adding a heat-sink.
>
> I investigated what it might take to get over the learning curve to write
> programs for the ATMega328P. It does not even seem that they release their
> source code. But,even if they did, I decided it would just be too much to
> take on.
>
> I wrote 01Mechanics, to ask them if they would be willing to do the
> modifications to their code, to work with DMX512, if I provided them with
> the specs, but they have not responded in over a week.
>
> Perhaps one of our group would like to take on this project.  Here is the
> link to the source and some of pricing;
>
> Zero One Mechatronics
> www.01mechatronics.com
>
> Hitec HS-311 Standard - Supermodified Servo [Their already modified servo]
>    60 Euro = $68 USD
>
> SuperModified V3.0 for RC-servos [Just the guts to do the mod yourself]
>   55 Euro = $62 USD
>
> Joe Dunfee
>  jdunfee12 at yahoo.com

James David Smith, President and Chief Product Designer
RC4 Wireless
13604 Heathwood Court
Raleigh, NC, 27615, USA
http://www.theatrewireless.com
http://www.wirelessdimming.com

Please excuse brevity and typos -- I'm "typing" on a slippery flat glass
screen.