[SML] Stage floor paint

Jeffrey Kanyuck JKanyuck at harford.edu
Thu Jul 21 18:20:43 UTC 2016

Hello,
     If you folks are looking for a good tough paint for a floor you are leaving black and not painting for each show, I have one for you. This paint ends up drying hard like a plastic. It’s called Break Through.
     It would probably work on Masonite and like products, but, we haven’t done this with the paint yet.
    This is what we did this summer.
We used a drum sander to sand our tongue and groove Pine floor. Took out any splinters and filled holes and gouges with DAP’s Plastic Wood. Sanded that part smooth again.

Then we did a coat of Break Through in Satin Wrought Iron Black.  On drying it lifted a few places of other slivers that we didn’t see before which came from water damage from a roof leak years ago.
We cut those off and filled and sanded the specific area. Did a second layer of paint over the entire floor and done.

Looks great. It’s already obvious it is tougher than other paints we’ve used and is resisting scrapes terrifically well.

We used 3 of the five gallon buckets to cover our stage surface which has an area of 50’ Wide and 36’ Deep.

We got our paint from The Paint Factory in Orlando in 5 gallon buckets. It comes in single gallons and five gallon containers.

Jeffrey Kanyuck
Technical Director
Harford Community College
401 Thomas Run Road