[SML] Rockets- onstage use

Ray Pierce RayP7357 at aol.com
Fri Jun 3 01:05:57 UTC 2016

You can have LN2 or CO2 on the ground for a quick whoosh effect but we always just had a 15lb spectra line going from the tip of the rocket to the grid, through a block, off stage through another block and the tied off to a small sandbag weight. 1 lb or so depending on the weight of the rocket. It is held in the air by a solenoid or trip line release. The beauty of this is the acceleration is correct as the sand bag falls causing the rocket to accelerate. It will stop automatically when the sand bag hits a pillow or foam pad underneath it. And the rocket will stop between the proscenium to the grid. I just didn't want any on board effects artificially moving the rocket in anyway.

At times we've just used nickel plated O rings for the lines.  If it's worth it I like to use Matt Sweeny micro diamond sheaves for all thread work where friction matters.

Ray

Sent from my iPhone