[SML] Up coming project

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Fri Jun 3 15:56:56 UTC 2016

Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 6:12 AM, Pat Kight via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> Looking at doing "Mr. Burns: A Post-Electric Play" early in the year,
>
> That show is one that has been floated by me to produce next year as
> well, and I must be missing something.... structurally, I feel it's
> really weak, and although I know every line of dialog in the Simpsons
> episodes referenced (and having performed multiple times in both
> Gilbert & Sullivan shows referenced) - I'm not sure how well this show
> works for a 'normal' audience.  (Insert upcoming "shrug" emoji here.)
> I don't dislike the show, but I wish I had seen it a couple of years
> ago when Portland Playhouse did it, so I could see what its appeal is
> when it's on its legs.

I saw the Portland Playhouse production and loved it to pieces. It was
already on my radar (the daughter of one of my college theater pals
appeared in the NYC premiere). It plays a *lot* better than it reads, as
long as the actors have the chops to pull it off. The script was
developed improvisationally, and it helps to have actors with strong
improv skills. The Simpsons thing just serves as a cultural reference
almost everyone can relate to.

--
Pat Kight