[SML] large group wifi has me spooked

NODEraser noderaser at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 14:05:45 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 6:31 AM, tech dept via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> What do you folk do to prep for large scale WIFI / internet interactive presentations.
> In a week I will be involved with a meeting with between 100 and 150 attendees. All with interactive laptops and their smart-phones trying to grab the venues WIFI and internet access.

Who is the presenter? Do they have experience with doing this sort of
thing in other venues? If they are experienced and prepared, I would
think they'd be bringing some of their own devices to supplement the
local infrastructure, if not providing their own. If the attendees are
all accessing the same content, they could provide a local server to
host it on which would alleviate the bandwidth requirements on your
commercial Internet, but will still require a robust set of access
points and a heavy-duty router. I wouldn't use any consumer-grade
devices for an application like that, stick with the enterprise-class
stuff; Cisco, Aruba, Ubiquiti, etc.

--
[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer