[SML] Building Risers

Paul Schreiner paulschreiner42 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 04:14:05 UTC 2016

Once upon a time, I tried to experiment with a different approach.
Standard 2x4 construction with 3/4" lids, but instead of typical legs
or knee walls I used blocks of layered extruded polystyrene foam
blocks.  The blocks were glued and given a top and bottom of 1/4"
lauan (for an overall height of 3-1/2" for the smallest, +8" each
additional level), then wrapped and sized in a glue/fire retardant
mixture (probably Rosco P50).  The blocks would pick up the seams of
adjoining platforms when they'd be laid out, making for nice even
corners without lots of legs; and because of the vibration-absorbing
qualities of the foam, they were remarkably quiet.  Put a show deck of
1/4" masonite on top, and you're G2G.

It was simple, cut down on storage space, was reusable, more durable
than I had anticipated, and negated the extra weight of the
Celotex/homesote on the platforms themselves.  Friction and gravity
helped keep the platforms in place, so the issue of floating was never
a problem; not sure I would do that for a heavy-traffic show or
something with wagons, though.  But it is another approach that worked
surprisingly well.