[SML] Opinions of Strand control and dimming equipment

Lou Poppler loupoppler at cableone.net
Fri Jun 17 00:11:38 UTC 2016

When I was at the Reno Hilton, all the installed dimming was from Strand,
of at least 3 generations ranging from 1970's racks of giant dimmer modules
and switchboard-style patch bays and retrofit DMX->10V controllers
in the original showroom and ballroom and cinema, through some 1990's
era dimmer/non-dim racks in a converted convention space, to CD-80
racks in the newest convention spaces, plus 4 portable CD-80 racks for
ad-hoc production.  All were very solid, well broken-in, and reliable.
The hotel had spares for everything, and techs who were trained to
repair most modules in-house.  Our support from Strand was completely
satisfactory when needed.   We had a couple of Strand 300 "clam-shell"
lightboards (received as freebies with some remodel purchase) which
I found to be kind of awkward to program, but usable with a little determination,and we had several Strand Premiere architectural controllers, which wereslightly programmable if you were very careful and patient.
Mostly we used ETC and AVO and Grand-MA consoles with all these dimmers.

I haven't been there for 10 years now, so everything may  be different now.