[SML] Cruise Ships

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Fri Jun 24 16:13:18 UTC 2016

I've never worked on a cruise ship, but I've heard different stories.

Research the particular cruise line.

Horror stories I've heard:

During off hours (not at work), you're not allowed above deck (IE must remain in crew areas at all times).
During not-theatre work hours, you're assigned other ship duties (bussing tables); NON theatre work.

If you leave the cruise (or are fired) mid-cruise ( IE not the home port) will they cover costs to get you to home port (or someplace reasonable for connecting flights)?

Expect to be assigned safety duties in case of alarms (fire fighting, evacuation).  Much like in a theatre, you're expected to get the patrons to safety.  But you're also the fire department.

Have multiple skill sets (automation and lighting control op).  you're more valuable the more things you can do.

I'm sure it will be an experience.  Just go in with open eyes.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

604-822-2372
Andrew.riter at ubc.ca<mailto:Andrew.riter at ubc.ca>