[SML] Cruise Ships

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Sat Jun 25 05:26:32 UTC 2016

On 6/22/2016 5:31 PM, Mark S. Eccleston via Stagecraft wrote:
> I'm considering looking for work on a cruise ship; possibly as a Technical
> Director or stage hand.
>
> Is anyone on the list doing this?

We do extensive work on the ships.  (I'm on RCCL'S Independence right now.)

For RCCL extra duties are only theatre related, except safety duties,
  many of the techs are assigned as life boat commanders/drivers. Cast
are often assembly station leaders.  They seem to think theatre people
are good under pressure, communicate well, and adapt to changing situations.

You can only get about 1000 feet from people no matter how much they
annoy you.

It is easy to drink away much of your pay, if you choose to, but they
also make it easy to direct deposit your pay to your home bank.  They
actually have a rather low limit for BAC, but they don't test unless
there is an issue.  Nobody is ever truly off-duty when you have a
lifeboat assignment/emergency duty.

You'll be working with folks from all over the planet.

RCCL is not in the crew must hide below decks category, but rank has
privileges, the higher you move up, the more you are allowed to do in
pax areas.  Rank is assigned to job title.

Single cabins is a harder issue, only Production Managers, Riggers, and
head sound and light techs get their own cabins, otherwise expect to share.

You need to be able to work the schedule they give you, but they do
comply with ILO rules so there are mandatory rest periods.

You will be doing maintenance, and running shows.  If a lighting person,
you might get to design for the magician that hasn't been there before,
but usually, the cues are already there from the last time.   Not a
creative job for the most part.

You certainly get to see the world, and you can get off in most ports.

If you have drug or alcohol issues, don't bother, it sucks to get fired
or tossed off to the authorities.

The money can be good if you don't have much Shoreside  expenses.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions

Stuart