[SML] Oh great SML mind...

Ray Gibson booray at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 23:00:21 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> > Their new "security key device" just sends a one time passcode to your
> > phone by text message.  Wow, they've made it to  2001 technology!
>

> I wonder if it will work with a traditional email account.

This is how it works by default.  Email and password.

> I suspect it is another example of Paypal taking something that is working
> perfectly well and reducing or screwing something up - all in the name of
> "progress".

Jerry's talking about two factor authentication.  This means having to log
in with something you know (your password) and something you have.  Jerry's
something he has is this little Verisign key, which they oddly don't
support anymore.  Now, and this isn't just PayPal, but the way everything
is going, is using your phone as something that you "have"... because
everyone has a phone.  You're not required to use it (yet).  However, it's
extremely beneficial.  Someone who wants to hack your paypal account and
sell it on the dark web would need your password AND your phone --
something that's unlikely to happen at the same time.

Dedicated devices are probably better than text messages, but text messages
are 1000% better than passwords alone.

Ray