[SML] DMX/Programmable Winches/Hoists

Bruce Cooper bruce at ledworklights.com
Thu Jun 30 01:49:38 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:21:29 PM CDT, Jerry Durand via Stagecraft
wrote:

> On 06/29/2016 03:18 PM, SAMUEL JONES via Stagecraft wrote:
>> Real question, no arguement. Why would that be? With the number of
>> programmable hoist systems, I would think that DMX would just be
>> another way.
>
> DMX has no error checking (yes, I know you can work around that and
> implement error checking, but then it's not pure DMX).  So, an error
> that would do no more than make a light flicker for a fraction of a
> second could kill someone.

  Add to that:

-No realtime feedback mechanism for encoder or other data [yes, RDM is a
possibility, but not really intended for such and would almost certainly be
overloaded in short order by encoder data alone.],

- no heartbeat or Axis Presence monitoring. - Purpose-built Automation
control software will either stop the cue, the axis, or the data output if
an axis is not present/not returning heartbeat. Lighting consoles will
(almost always) merrily continue sending data whether the axis is present
at the beginning of a cue, leading to the possibility of  unintended
movement when (for example) a connector is re-made by someone
troubleshooting in the middle of a cue.

- consoles that aren't built from the ground for winch control - It's easy
enough (working too quickly, usually) even with purpose-built automation
software/consoles to make injurious or deadly mistakes when programming.
(This is the reason for the program-test-add actors workflow) Adding in DMX
translation by the programmer adds another possible point of failure]

- no E-Stop capability - It is possible to add this as an outboard system,
but again the console doesn't know about it and will probably keep sending
data so if the E-Stop is lifted the winch could begin moving.

DMX is a one-way system, where the console fires off DMX values and just
expects that the system will end up in the right state.  With lights, this
poses no life-safety hazard.  With winches, even a 10 pound weight moving
into head/meatspace at even reasonable speeds [< 2ft/sec] can do some
serious damage.

 IF there is any life safety risk at all, I personally wouldn't ever use
DMX controlled winches, no matter how light the load on the end.  Getting
caught in moving winch line shouldn't be forgotten as a possibility.

  My $.02 as a guy who used to run a fair number of winches in
ever-changing configurations and got to do the risk assessments.

:Bruce Cooper
--
Itinerant Stagehand, (currently non-practicing) Navigator
Programmer/Operator, Ever curious fixer of things.