[SML] Wrong time to plan

Bruce Cooper bruce at ledworklights.com
Thu Jun 30 02:11:21 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:19:44 PM CDT, Jerry Durand via Stagecraft
wrote:
> 8 people stuck 10 stories high on Ok. City roller-coaster
> https://www.rt.com/usa/348933-people-stuck-roller-coaster/
>
> It says the fire department is now developing a plan on how to get them
> down.  BZZZZT!  Wrong answer!  A plan and backup should have been in
> place as part of the permitting before it opened.
>
> I hope the people aren't hanging upside down.

  Well, my NDA period is officially over [15+ years ago], so I can talk
about the day I was working at a 6 Flags amusement park and a full train of
cars got stuck... Upside-Down in a loop.  Bearings on the rear-most car's
L-side Lower Tracking wheel failed catastrophically, the wheel turned
sideways at the bottom of the loop and acted as a brake thru the top, where
there is the least momentum.  Voila, stuck.

  The sad fact is that even when something like a roller coaster is
risk-assessed, it usually isn't fine-grained enough.  In the case I'm
speaking of there were at least three separate actions taken depending on
whether the cars were fully-inverted [about 40%], Downward-facing [another
30%] or Upward-facing [again, about 30%].  This could have been different,
since longer and shorter trains were a possibility.  In the specific case I
witnessed as an employee there were in fact risk-assessments and planned
procedures created by the park, but apparently they hadn't quite been kept
up-to-date with changes in maintenance procedure, park layout, or fire
department SOPs.  They were also never rehearsed or even implementation
checked to my knowledge.

  The efforts of the local FD high-angle team, ride maintenance, and
in-park
First responders were Herculean, but there were persons who remained at
least partially inverted for the better part of an hour.

  Needless to say, there was a VERY THOROUGH review and updating of every
ride-related risk-assessment and rescue plan *very* shortly afterwards.  To
my knowledge there hasn't been an incident since, with many more coasters
and increasing park attendance in the years since.

 Also, it ain't the FD's job to plan.  IT is the OWNER/OPERATOR'S
responsibility to plan and coordinate with the Local PD/FD/Emergency
Management Agency.

  Risk assessment and planning is just the first step, folks. Training,
practice, and assessment updating and maintenance all play a part.

My 2 bits.

:Bruce Cooper
--
Itinerant Stagehand and former Amusement Park Employee.