[SML] DMX/Programmable Winches/Hoists

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 15:10:29 UTC 2016

I recently wrote to the list about the possibility of a DMX controlled mall servo motor, with the option of continuous rotation.  However, my load is well under a pound. My main safety concern would be the possibility of an actor getting in the way of the cord. then there may be a thin-line type of abrasion. For that reason I may make the cord thicker than I actually need in terms of strength. But, if the object being moved drops out of the sky, it is not a safety concern.

For your camouflage net, since that weight is distributed over a large area, personally I would feel safe with DMX control.  Though you also need to think about the possibility of it lowering itself at any time during the production,and if those situations would be safe. It is not just the presence of the net to be concerned about, but also the issue of if the net lowered while a set is being moved, and then pulls on the winch system itself.  Then, it may pull the winch loose from where it is attached.

-Joe