[SML] roof question

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 3 02:22:47 UTC 2016

I too am surprised at only 2" of foam  but also a roof pitch of only 4/12.   You'd need 5/12  for housing codes here in Ithaca.    All that said, if you've been living with 2" of foam and a 4/12 roof pitch all these years......
I lived in the Boston area for five years and we all know the kind of winter you had last year.
20 years on a composite roof (asphalt shingle?) with a low roof pitch isn't bad.   Something like fiberglass shingle (GAF or others)  would give you more life, (maybe 30 or even 40 years) , however,  to get any kind of warranty you are likely talking about a tear off of the old roof and a new one  by a certified installer.  (shingles like to lay flat)
Disposal costs can be significant.  If you have no budget (don't we all?) then perhaps you can look at something like the products from Onduline. (onduvilla or ondura)...I've never used these but they supposedly go over old shingles and still work.  I've never thought they were that attractive but you are not likely talking much about aesthetics for this roof.

AND, as Steve said, get a roofing consultant.

DickA
TD, Cornell U