[SML] roof question

Wayne Rasmussen rasmuw at blair.edu
Thu Mar 3 07:09:07 UTC 2016

I think you will get more noise than you find acceptable.  Our theater
roof, starting with the metal rafters, is covered with steel, then a few
inches of foam bonded to a wood sheathing, then slate.  Soft rain is not
audible, but hard rain is.  Another problem we've experienced is creaking,
which we believe to be the coefficients of expansion for the metal vs. the
foam and the resultant movement between the two materials.  In your
application, I think you need more foam and some dead air space.

>couple of people have suggested a metal roof

I'm concerned about noise when it rains,  anybody have comments on this ?
(Boston area)

roof structure does include a 2" insulating foam layer<

Wayne Rasmussen
Blair Academy