[SML] HDMI

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:45:12 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 11:17 AM, illuminati500 via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> What is the longest HDMI run that anyone here has successfully used? Or is
> there another way? Forgive my ignorance, I have never run video this far
> before.. I need to feed two Robe MinMes with video content from a source at
> least  25 metres away.
>
> Dorian

For passive copper, anything over 25' starts entering problematic areas,
and over 50' is a no-go if you want any expectation of reliability. There
are active copper cables (they have integrated repeater electronics) that
will work in the 25-100' range.

But for 25 meters, you might want to look into optical HDMI cables. I
personally have not used them yet but they keep coming up when I'm
researching designs, and I'm sure I will use them soon. Here are two
sources:

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=slimrun+av
http://www.celeritytek.com/product.html

They are, of course, more fragile than copper cable, and more expensive,
but theoretically more reliable. At 25 meters you have a choice between
active cooper and fiber, depends on your environment. Be aware of
environmental noise that can interfere with long copper runs.

--
Michael Sauder
Show Control Programming and Design
Email: michael.sauder at gmail.com