[SML] HDMI

FBC Tech Team sound at faithbc.net
Fri Mar 4 18:39:16 UTC 2016

Agreed with everything Michael said.

You *might* get lucky on a 25m run of passive cable, especially as you
appear to only need 1280x800 max resolution (higher resolution = shorter
passive distance limit), however, there are so many chances for things to
go wrong, and that's way over the suggested max limit of 15m for HD
sources, that you may as well do it right the first time. The length limit
is actually based on bandwidth carrying capability, not an actual
resolution, so that's just a thumbrule guideline.

We use the FSR HDMI Ribbon Cables at work and they're very nice, in between
MonoPrice and Celerity price-wise, and all 3 are rated up to 4K/UHD so
would serve you well in future upgrades. I've been meaning to try out the
MonoPrice varieties...it'll be interesting to see the results, as they sell
passive 100' HDMI cables as well which do not work. But, to be fair, their
literature suggests using an HDMI booster with them.

Alternately, the CAT5e/6/7 extenders are also very good, especially if you
specify the HDBaseT varieties. They're about equivalent in cost to the
fiber optic HDMI ribbon cables, however, as Michael said the fiber cables
are more fragile. If there's a chance of these cables being moved around
with any regularity, fiber types could break and you can't re-terminate
them yourself. With HDBaseT extenders, you can slice through a CAT5e/6/7
cable and have a new connector crimped on within 15 minutes, even if it's
mid-cable (recrimp both ends and use a RJ45 coupler to get through the
show). Even if you get a fiber HDBaseT extender, it's simple fiber...you
can reconnectorize that as well (harder, but do-able).

Another benefit of the HDBaseT extenders is they carry Audio, Video,
Ethernet, Control (RS232/IR) and Power (to power the receiver from the
transmitter so no AC adapter needed). Also, HDBaseT is a "standard" so you
can mix and match manufacturers.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Michael Sauder via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> For passive copper, anything over 25' starts entering problematic areas,
> and over 50' is a no-go if you want any expectation of reliability. There
> are active copper cables (they have integrated repeater electronics) that
> will work in the 25-100' range.
>
> But for 25 meters, you might want to look into optical HDMI cables. I
> personally have not used them yet but they keep coming up when I'm
> researching designs, and I'm sure I will use them soon. Here are two
> sources:
>
> http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=slimrun+av
> http://www.celeritytek.com/product.html
>
> They are, of course, more fragile than copper cable, and more expensive,
> but theoretically more reliable. At 25 meters you have a choice between
> active cooper and fiber, depends on your environment. Be aware of
> environmental noise that can interfere with long copper runs.

Jeff Klein, DMC- E
Audio Visual Project Manager
Dept of Defense
Washington D.C. District

 "Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for God
opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5