[SML] HDMI

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:06:33 UTC 2016

On 3/4/16 1:39 PM, FBC Tech Team via Stagecraft wrote:

> Alternately, the CAT5e/6/7 extenders are also very good, especially if
> you specify the HDBaseT varieties. They're about equivalent in cost to
> the fiber optic HDMI ribbon cables, however, as Michael said the fiber
> cables are more fragile. If there's a chance of these cables being moved
> around with any regularity, fiber types could break and you can't
> re-terminate them yourself. With HDBaseT extenders, you can slice
> through a CAT5e/6/7 cable and have a new connector crimped on within 15
> minutes, even if it's mid-cable (recrimp both ends and use a RJ45
> coupler to get through the show). Even if you get a fiber HDBaseT
> extender, it's simple fiber...you can reconnectorize that as well
> (harder, but do-able).

I'm a huge proponent of sending video as HD-SDI.  HD-SDI transmits 4k
video with up to 8 channels of audio over an RG-6 cable with BNC
connectors.  Low-profile cable with locking connectors that's good for
100m?  I'm sold.

I'm paired with the broadcast video department here, and they use it for
almost everything (the athletics facilities are hybrid fiber cables).

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall