[SML] Arduino DMX Shield

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 17:50:39 UTC 2016

 "Trevor Learoyd" <trevor at synthserv.com> wrote
>  If it's of interest, I've been working on a similar project
> (minus the Arduino)  using these guys:
> http://www.milinst.co.uk/shop/DM/DM.php#1-550

Thanks for the link to that product. I will keep it on file.  However, in my case, I was wanting to be able to use 3rd party stepper boards, so that I could have a greater range of options in terms of motor power.

In regards to the Arduino and DMX, I did find that I didn't want to do the DMX processing on board the Arduino, because it would use up so much of its processing. In my case, I was hoping to connect a quadrature encoder, and that would eat up a good portion of the processing ability. So, I found a DMX to serial board.  Though, I am sure that for some applications, doing the DMX processing on board the Arduino is just fine.

Note that there are a number of RS-485 shields, and they are capable of sending/receiving the DMX signal.  But, they are geared towards industrial systems outside of theater, and the available software libraries are the limitation.

-Joe