[SML] 3D Printers? MakerBot Z18

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Thu Mar 24 16:32:52 UTC 2016

On 03/24/2016 07:21 AM, Dave Vick via Stagecraft wrote:

> Do you *definitely* need the 18" print height? If you can get away
> with slightly less height, consider the Rostock MAX V2 printer from
> SeeMeCNC, which is the printer kit that I recently built (they also
> sell pre-assembled versions). 280mm dia. circular build plate, the
> print head clears to roughly 380mm. I've found it to be inexpensive,
> easily serviced, easily programmed from both Mac and WinTel laptops,
> and fairly amusing.
>
> http://www.seemecnc.com/collections/3d-printers

We have both an Afinia H479 and a Rostock Max V2.

The Afinia has several thousand hours of print time on it, the print
head (hot end) has been replaced once due to a faulty part and a drive
belt jumped out of its clamp once.

We haven't used the Rostock as much as I've been too busy to spend the
time to tune it in properly until recently.  It is now starting to be
used.  I did build the Rostock with a different power supply, at the
time I got it they were having a lot of failures with the PC type power
supply.  I simply set that aside and used an industrial 12V, 400W power
supply.  No problems since.

The Afinia H479 is obsolete, the H480 replaces it and is now only $800.

The Afinia doesn't allow much adjustment of print parameters, you will
need to get a temperature control for it from Octave.com and find which
filament prints well on it.  We found many types of ABS work well but
only a few PLA such as Polymaker.

The Rostock lets/requires you to adjust EVERYTHING.  So with care you
can tune this to really shine.  Or make a mess.

You can get after-market high-temperature hot-ends for the Rostock that
will allow printing with more exotic materials.

Afinia only works with their software.

Rostock works with many different software packages, we use Simplicity3D.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886