[SML] Stage pistol?

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:22:05 UTC 2016

Dear Jim,
Yes, I was attempting to be humorous, and I failed miserably at that
endeavor. Anybody who has ever seen, much less handled, a .50 cal magnum
revolver would know that it is out-of-scale with any actor's hand, even in
a burlesque production, as the 'X' frame is huge and the gun weighs up to
82 ounces (over 5 lbs) unloaded. I am sorry if anyone was not paying
attention to logic, and took my comment seriously. The Report is deafening
even without a 500 grain cartridge, and the 'kick' is significant enough to
break an actor's concentration. Firing this weapon leaves a lot of smelly
particulate matter in the air around the shooter. Each round costs about
$2.50, too.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Dougherty, Jim via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Duncan Mahoney¹s advice is spot on, read well and carefully.
>
> Based on the firearm in the post and the intentionally idiotic advice
> related to it, I¹m pretty certain Richard Niederberg was being sarcastic.
> Yes, disastrous results could ensue should anyone take it seriously - thus
> making the idiot the one that takes firearm advice straight off the
> internet without further research.  Including mine.
>
> I¹ve had luck purchasing blank-fire-only revolvers from Collector¹s
> Armoury.  They are the mostly-non-steel, not-long-term-reliable ones in
> Duncan¹s post but we do short runs and they are sufficient for that.  They
> use 8mm or 9mm blanks and can¹t be modified for anything else.  Some are
> better than others.  They are very loud in smaller theaters. When we¹ve
> used them both the appearance and the volume were desired.  If you go this
> route, be aware that the direction of discharge varies gun by gun - some
> out the top, some out the sides - in addition to the discharge between the
> cylinder and the barrel that accompanies any revolver.
>
> - Jim Dougherty
> ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Dept.

/s/ Richard
_________