[SML] EL wire

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 14:59:23 UTC 2016

Bill Nelson via Stagecraft
> A: What kind of  black magic is this?
> B: (Grabbing wires)  Yeowch!

One source said, the power supply for EL wire produces electric potential of approximately 90 - 120 volts at about 1000 Hz.

I recall hearing that early in the development of electricity, and before the volt meter, was to feel it with your hands.  And the, estimate the voltage in terms of how many electric eels it felt like.

So, if you can find an electric eel to hold, then you will now have something to compare to EL wire power supplies. One source says," larger eels are capable of producing a shock up to 860 volts and 1 ampere of current (860 watts) for a duration of two milliseconds".  Another source says, "Smaller eels (about 10 cm in length) can produce charges of up to 100 V"

But, the practice was eventually abandoned as a measurement system. I guess a volt meter was both more precise, and more convenient than carrying around a fish tank.

-Joe