[SML] Cyc/Sky drop replacement

Allison Koster kosteral at juno.com
Thu May 12 23:25:50 UTC 2016

Also, depending on the condition of the rest of the cyc, you *might* be able to extend the life of it by simply making a new pipe pocket. At a previous place of employment* the sky drop was in overall decent condition, except for an absolutely shredded pipe pocket. I sweet-talked the costume shop into attaching a new denim sleeve behind the original one, sewing right along the same seam. After pipe inserted and the drop raised to height, all it took was a minute of minimal dressing to ensure the tattered pocket (now just an empty flap) was tucked under the pipe so everything was pretty.

Of course if the whole drop has dry rot, this will get you nowhere.

Allison Koster
Worthington, Minnesota

* A small college that spent LOTS on the sciences, while theatre & dance limped along on a few nickels; plus the previous TD was worthless and provided minimal supervision of the student workers so pretty much EVERYTHING (including the lighting instruments) was in tatters....UGH!

From: PJ Veltri <pjveltri at gmail.com>
Subject: [SML] Cyc/Sky drop replacement

Hi all,

I've got a 10 year old 24'T x 55'w flat cyc that is showing signs of dry rot, aka I went to put a bottom pipe in it and in pushing the pipe through the pocket tore a 1' long tear right along the pocket hem, which is pretty...great?
<snip>