[SML] best gaff or vinyl tape for temporary install of dance floor?

Paul Schreiner paulschreiner42 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 15:48:36 UTC 2016

IMHO, the best tape for a dance floor is...vinyl dance floor tape.
Any decent gaffers tape will work, and if it's a temporary (one week
or so) install with little humidity, then it shouldn't pull up too
much of your paint floor...but you'll still have happier dancers
(especially any barefoot ones) with the vinyl, as it better mimics the
feel of the marley itself; and you'll have happier beancounters, since
the vinyl tape is substantially cheaper than gaff.

I recommend the following sequence:

1) Using gaff tape, secure one end of your most-downstage marley run.
2) Stretch the marley, using vinyl tape along both of the long edges
as you go.  My preferred method of stretching is to slowly roll our
Genie towards the free end of the run.  Secure the far end with gaff
tape.
3) Moving to the next upstage run, repeat the process.  Leave about
1/8" gap between marley edges.  The downstage edge of each run (other
than the first) will be laying over the tape used to secure the
previous run.
4) Rinse and repeat.

HTH