[SML] OTes: network/windows weirdness

Brian Munroe brian at themunroes.com
Fri May 20 11:35:41 UTC 2016

I know this group is likely to give me the quickest answer.

I have a new laptop, windows 10, that isn't seeing/connecting to other
devices on my home network.  There are an assortment of devices on the
network - our main desktop, assorted family members laptops, phones, and
tablets, our NAS backup drive, a music server, printers, DVRs, etc etc.

Our desktop, also windows 10, sees everything and can connect to everything.
In the "network" details screen in file explorer we have all the "computers"
listed (which includes our NAS, the router, and our music server [an intel
NUC running JRiver Media Center on Linux].  Under "Media Devices" theres all
the DLNA servers that the various devices spit out.  "Network
Infrastructure" shows our router. "Other Devices" show our desktop, the
music server, and the Roku I use when I'm on the road.  "Printers" show our
printer, and "Storage" shows our NAS.  That is all correct and working.  In
the directory tree under "Network" we have the desktop, laptop, NAS, music
server and router listed as folders/storage (the router can attach a USB
drive sort of as a NAS).

The problem is the new laptop.  In the same networks detail screen in file
explorer - all the assorted media devices show up under "media devices",
the problem is what is showing up under "computers" and what I can connect
to is different.  The NAS shows up under "Storage" but not computers, and I
can't connect to it.  The music server shows up under "media devices" but
not "computers" and I can't connect to that either.

So I'm guessing some sort of either firewall setting or other windows
network setting.  Any help?

Thanks,

Brian Munroe