[SML] Building a stage

Sarah McKenney mckenney.sarah at gmail.com
Sat May 28 00:58:27 UTC 2016

Hello friends of the theatre hive mind. A friend of mine is considering
taking his theatre troupe to the next level by building (or renovating?) a
brick and mortar location to house them in, and has asked me for any advice
I could give him on such a matter.

I have some decent experience in lighting, but less so in creating a stage
from scratch. Helpful information can even be things you hate at the place
you are currently working, and wish were made better.

Now, as with all theatre it will eventually land in "What is the most I can
do with zero money?" But I thought I would get a feel for what people found
most important in their spaces.

Facts:

-Location: Bend, Oregon

-Theatre style: currently Cabernet, but likely to open up to musicals and
ideally using the space for community concerts, local school rentals, and
maybe even an landing place for tours (somewhat speculative, advice on
whether any of these things are bad ideas also appreciated)

Budget: Underfunded

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

Sarah McKenney
Electrics technician and Programmer
Oregon Shakespeare Festival