[SML] Building a stage

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Sun May 29 01:11:22 UTC 2016

Dear Sarah,
Audiences judge theaters by their bathrooms.
ADA compliance is crucial from the sidewalk
or parking area path of travel all the way to
their seat, dressing room or booth [work area].
If the height is limited. use 1/4" x 1 1/4" lath
to 'spring' the stage. Find your 'safe' tie points.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Steven Hood via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> First thing is to figure out where you'll put the space... the stage and
> the audience will both need to be accounted for when allotting space within
> that shell. The stage should be sprung. The audience needs comfortable
> chairs, bathrooms, and safe egress. Beyond that... I would get a local
> advocate for funding and also (local is less important here) a consultant
> who can be your advisor and help communicate with the architects and
> engineers.
> Steven R Hood
> 310.756.3555
>
> On May 28, 2016 4:30:37 PM Sarah McKenney via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello friends of the theatre hive mind. A friend of mine is considering
>> taking his theatre troupe to the next level by building (or renovating?) a
>> brick and mortar location to house them in, and has asked me for any advice
>> I could give him on such a matter.
>>
>> I have some decent experience in lighting, but less so in creating a
>> stage from scratch. Helpful information can even be things you hate at the
>> place you are currently working, and wish were made better.
>>
>> Now, as with all theatre it will eventually land in "What is the most I
>> can do with zero money?" But I thought I would get a feel for what people
>> found most important in their spaces.
>>
>> Facts:
>>
>> -Location: Bend, Oregon
>>
>> -Theatre style: currently Cabernet, but likely to open up to musicals and
>> ideally using the space for community concerts, local school rentals, and
>> maybe even an landing place for tours (somewhat speculative, advice on
>> whether any of these things are bad ideas also appreciated)
>>
>> Budget: Underfunded
>>
>> Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!
>>
>> Sarah McKenney
>> Electrics technician and Programmer
>> Oregon Shakespeare Festival

/s/ Richard