[SML] Console/dimmer replacement estimates

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Tue Oct 4 22:18:25 UTC 2016

My venue is 20 years old.  I've been here for 15.

We have replaced each Lighting Console in each venue (technology change), from Strand LBX and 430 to ETC Ions. (10 years ago??)
Both Sound consoles have changed (to digital).

The Dimmer racks (CD 80 Supervisors) are still here, but the processors have changed (to Strand C21) 4 years ago.

Entire sound system renovation (replaced cluster with digital speakers, added line array, Digital processing, etc). 2 years ago.

We are in the planning stages to replace all 3 separate house light control systems.

The primary reason for the dimmer processors and house light system replacements was that we could not get anything repaired if there was a failure.  So if it breaks, we couldn't get it fixed.  At all.

The consoles upgraded to keep up with technology, and improve user and client events.

So, long term planning, plan on new dimming system every 30 years.  If failures start occurring, that date can move up.  If you need to start replacing dimmer with non-dim contactors for LEDs etc., and you can source those modules, great.  If not, then your replacement date just started moving up.

Console and similar: if it works, and can support your business, and it can be fixed, keep it.  If it starts becoming a liability (can't repair it, or the number shows that it can't support increases each year) that's when you need to replace it.  Plan/budget for every 10???

And whenever you buy system, buy spares (spare processor for the dimmers, spare modules, spare switch stations for house light control).

PS speaking of non-dim contactors, is there a market selling CD80 Supervisor 2.4kw non-dim contactors?  I could use some more (no I haven't contacted Philips Strand yet).

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director, Head Lighting Technician
Chan Centre for the Performing Arts

604-822-2372
andrew.riter at ubc.ca