[SML] Wireless Routers

Nigel Worsley niglew at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 5 21:50:57 UTC 2016

On 5 October 2016 at 18:47, Jeffrey Kanyuck via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>     I'm looking for a wireless router that can be rack mounted.

Your best bet is to get a decent non rackmount one and fix it to a
rack shelf, unless you have very deep pockets. This one costs $20K,
for example: https://www.moxashop.com/wac-2004-series No, I have no
idea why it is quite so exorbitantly expensive either!

> Preferably with the antennas on the outside of the rack

Buy something with detachable antennas and get some short extension
cables (usually known as pigtails) to get the connectors to where you
want them - something like this for example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingmap-RP-SMA-Female-Connector-Pigtail/dp/B005G20NRC

One final point, you probably only want an access point rather than a
wireless router, as there is presumably nowhere upstream to route
anything to. It doesn't really make much difference with bottom end
gear, but could save a few bucks with mid range stuff by not buying
extra functionality that you don't need.

Whatever you go for, make sure it is easy to power cycle the access
point separately from the rest of the rack, it is bound to need it
occasionally.

Nigel Worsley