[SML] Security: Active shooter

Kristi R-C misswisc at aol.com
Mon Oct 17 15:56:53 UTC 2016

This was a matter of lengthy discussion this summer.

Police are trained to work in low light and noisy situations, but out audiences are not and a pre-show announcement isn't the same as actually doing the task. Consensus is there should be some kind of panic button which brings houselights to full so audience members can see to get out. Sound should have a similar "kill" switch so that audience members can hear instructions.

We have an opportunity to practice in the space, our audiences do not, so prudent, fraction-of-a-second presets can be the difference between them getting out or getting killed where they sit. We've all seen the deer-in-the-headlights non-action of a crowd. They'll need a bit of prodding to realize it's not part of the show and to get out of the venue.

Kristi R-C