[SML] Security: Active shooter

Jeffrey Kanyuck JKanyuck at harford.edu
Mon Oct 17 19:30:48 UTC 2016

At my place of work (college) we get in person training each year. They discuss things at length with us each time about how to look for exits as we walk into a building so we know how to get out in case something happens.
RUN, Hide, Fight. Try to do those things in that priority. Use your judgement as best you can at the time.
We don't get any actual practice at it. Which I think would benefit us more. That's why the military actually has you practice fighting. So it's easier to do rather than having to think through everything and then getting so scared you don't do anything.
Yay...
Jeff Kanyuck

Cc: Chip Wood
Subject: [SML] Security: Active shooter

My wife is a Docent at the Phoenix Art Museum and their Security guy gave them a briefing yesterday on how to deal w/ an active shooter.  We have discussed many security related topics , esp fire, on this list, but never this one.  Given today's political climate and incidents in crowded places, it seems to be very relevant.  Is this briefing common in your training?

Chip 1