[SML] Advancing development of a new flash for antique cameras

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 04:30:59 UTC 2016

I have a new complication.  The director blocked the scene today, and decided to only have one reporter with a camera, so that he can use more of the cast as part of the non-reporter crowd.

While this reduce the number of cameras with flash to only one, it actually makes the job harder. I imagine I can get away from having to produce a flash inside the camera.  The scene can probably be blocked so that the one reporter shifts his position momentarily to get a good angle, so that he aims his camera to the side, even if he enters upstage.

But I don't confidently know how I can produce only one flash using a theatrical strobe light. Perhaps I can simply set the strobe to a very slow flash, and hopefully we can time the amount of time it is on over DMX so that only one flash comes out. Do any DMX controllable strobes permit you to tell it to,"Just do one flash"?

Even though my need to do a flash from inside the camera unit itself if not needed for now,  I do expect to need to do this for another upcoming show, which is set in the late 30's.  Fortunately the flash bulb was invented in 1937, so I don't need to simulate the flash-powder type.  Many of them look like the body of a flashlight from the 40s or 50s... the ribbed metal style. And then a reflector sitting on top at a right-angle. I say this is good, because recently the local dollar stores have been carrying those  style of flash lights. (but they are VERY poorly made, and the metal edges are VERY sharp... some kids are going to get cut).  They also carry small metal bowls. So, I can attach the two together and produce a very convincing reproduction of flashes from that era, using $2 of material.  Then, I have plenty of space to add whatever electronics I want inside.

I do have a few questions in response to Mr. Durand's post.

"Jerry Durand" <jdurand at interstellar.com> said;
> If you only need 1 flash, then just way overpower the LED.

Have you tried this, and can comment on how bright it is?

> It's not  hard to get 10 Watt LEDs now

I know I can get 100 watt leds. But, the issue is the form. Ideally I would like the traditional  5mm or 10mm style with leads.  But, all the higher wattage ones I have seen are the COB style.

-Joe