[SML] Florida Venues - Orchestra Pit Lift?

Joe Wilson faderjockey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 14:02:24 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I'm looking for feedback specifically from Florida venues, but other
suggestions or experiences are also welcome.

Short version:  I'm looking for information from other Florida theatres
with orchestra pit lifts.  What lift mechanism do you use, and how has your
experience with that been?

Longer version:  Florida has a VERY near-surface water table which makes
digging wells for hydraulic pistons a challenge.  Our venue has a hydraulic
piston driven orchestra pit lift, with all the associated problems that
come with it.  We have a sump pump in the space under the elevator deck to
help keep the moisture level down, but the problem appears in the
shafts that the pistons ride in, which are cut into the concrete below the
orchestra pit (and thus below the level of the sump pump.) The shafts fill
with water and the cable that keeps the pit level and the two pistons
driving in sync is exposed to water 24/7.  In addition, a crack has
recently developed in the wall of one of the shafts and sediment is filling
the space while the pit is up.  This means that as the pit operates it
packs sediment into the bottom of the shaft and the pistons can no longer
travel all the way down.  The problem is getting worse quickly: we
currently cannot lower the orchestra pit below house level.  Our elevator
service contractors who are charged with the maintenance and upkeep tell us
that it's only going to get worse, and while we can vacuum out the sediment
and replace the cable when it breaks, that's only a band-aid solution.

So, while we are gearing up to to a major replacement of our lift
mechanism, I've been asked to ask around and see what other lift mechanism
options are out there, and look for real-world experiences with them.

Thanks as always in advance for your help!
~joe

--
Joe Wilson, ATD/Sound

Adding one more "me too" to the