[SML] Florida Venues - Orchestra Pit Lift?

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 21:19:55 UTC 2016

Do try to separate the caissons from the basic sub-pit.  Caissons of
steel pipe did tend to leak over time, though I have found the PVC
caissons with the cylinders just "hung" in them to be pretty good.

Regardless, if you have hydraulic or screws in caissons, it's probably
time to replace.  Serapid and Gala are really the only options today,
and both are good.  I can debate the individual merits of each, but
one thing is for certain:  if both are bidding it and you plan to
award to the low bidder, the price will be MUCH lower than if you
simply negotiate with one or the other.

And you really should have a designer familiar with all of the ins and
outs, especially all the interlocks  and safeties, because you won't
otherwise get the same.  And probably you can reuse the basic deck,
but its also a good time to get it replaced if you need that.  Think
about stops and where you want the ability to go both lower and/or
higher to compensate for show decks.  I like a stop 7" above stage for
the occasional guest speaker who remains seated - just improves sight
lines with no effort or cost.
--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC