[SML] Great SML mind...

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Sep 14 21:58:52 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Paul G. via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> It took me about 5-6 days and I don't recall how many attempts to install Windows 10. When I finally was able to install it took over 24 hours. I found Windows 10 to be so bad I uninstalled it almost in less than the 24 hours it took to install.

I've certainly had my troubles with it... like just today.  I went out
to pick up some materials, and while I was gone, Microsquish decided
to upgrade my Win 10 laptop to Win 10 Anniversary Edition....  and in
the process, threw out my HP DesignJet 450c (plotter), my Vectorworks
associations, brought BACK the Cortana search, and all sorts of other
"resets" of things I had turned off/banished. I'm sure there's more
it's done that I haven't noticed yet....

Just getting that "ancient" (8 year old) HP DesignJet to install in
Win 10 was a chore.... I finally found out how - I needed to do some
command prompt magic to turn off the integrity checks of the
installers, put the system in "test mode," reboot, install the .inf,
THEN go add the printer the old-fashioned way.  THEN turn all that
stuff back on, if I so desire.

If anyone cares, or finds out they have hardware and drivers that
worked in Win 7/8/Vista but Win 10 just balks, try these instructions:

 ----
Open a command prompt ("Run as administrator") -

Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
then reboot.

Please keep in mind that this MAKES YOU VULNERABLE to malicious
drivers, packages, blah, blah, blah.

Once you've installed the drivers you've been having trouble with, you
can turn it off with these commands using the same process.

Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com