[SML] Shop dust collection

Damon Gelb dgelb at muhlenberg.edu
Wed Sep 21 14:47:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Bill Potter via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> We’re FINALLY adding dust collection to our scene shop and I thought I’d
> check in and see what folks like.
>
> At this point, I think we’d like to go with one overhead general ambient
> filter (with a remote) for general dust collection from the air and
> individual vacs for each stationary power tool. Any specific brands that
> you like (or ones to avoid) would be great to hear about.

I would be careful about adding individual vacs for stationary tools.
Sometimes getting rid of one pollutant (dust) creates another (noise).  We
have individual large dust collectors connected to our table saw, radial
arm saw, and CNC machine.  Now imagine all of those tools and their
associated dust collectors operating simultaneously (plus the downdraft
hold down for the CNC).  The noise in my shop can be overwhelming at
times.  We have started to look into a centralized system with the motor
AND collection drum located OUTSIDE of the shop.

As for air filtration, we have two large ceiling mounted "Airflow Systems"
units.  They are switch activated, so they only help when one remembers to
turn them on.  I am having the college electricians wire these so that they
automatically activate when the table saw or radial arm saw are used.  A
timer will shut them off after a specified period, with a manual override.

--
Damon Gelb
Technical Director